Reply To: More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)* Reply To: More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

TiredOldHack
Participant

I’ve been reading this thread with interest, as I’m going to hit Gold this year.

Someone once wrote that it’s very hard, once you’ve turned left on entering an airliner, to turn right on subsequent flights. In my experience, damn right.

I reckon that most of my premium class travel is company travel. However, my company will only pay economy fares. So I quote them the BA economy fare price and cough the extra for myself. They’re happy with that. As most of my company travel is very long-haul, it suits me (don’t give a damn on short-haul).

The extra costs, if you use the premium ticket brokers, start your journey in ‘favourable’ countries, and take advantage of the regular BA premium ticket sales, are usually a lot less than people appreciate.

By doing that, I manage to get enough TPs and Avios both to make my own personal travel a damn sight more pleasant, and also to ‘pay for’ my own travel. So last year saw my wife and I using Avios to fly in F to Mumbai, and the whole family flying to Geneva for a skiing holiday and being able to use the lounges and LHR and GVA (wife is Silver, so it’s one child as a guest each).

When I tot up the savings both in getting many of my own tickets on Avios, and to be made by not having to pay airport charges for food and drink, plus the improved quality of travel life, I think it’s a very fair exchange. This suggests to me that BA’s loyalty scheme works well on its current ratings and prices.

Interestingly, Mrs TOH has come round to the same way of thinking. We flew back from BKK in WT+ recently, having flown out in CW, and she muttered to me in mid-air “It’s just not as good, is it?”