Reply To: B747-400 Mid J Retirement Plans

Back to Forum

kingdomchris
Participant

Hi, everyone here seems very knowledgeable and so I hope you can offer up some advice. I live in Miami and I’m planning to use my Avios to bring my mum and sister here in January 2014 in First.

Looking at the schedules for January 2014, there are 2 flights per day, both of which are on B747-400s. When I look at the seat map with ExpertFlyer, all the scheduled flights appear to be Mid-J fleet. I really would like them to have the New First experience. I considered routing them through JFK or ORD on a 777, but my mum has limited mobility and I don’t think she will be up to changing terminals and making a connecting flight.

It’s my understanding that there are about 12 Mid-Js remaining which are planned to be retired. Is there any information available as to the timeframe for when these aircraft will be taken out of service? I’m wondering if BA is assigning Mid-J seat maps to these flights for next year just as placeholders, given that we are still 8 or so months out, and perhaps we’ll see these switched out for Hi-J 747s or 777s closer to the departure date.

Anyone have a feel for how the next few months will play out with these remaining Mid-Js and when we can finally say goodbye to Old First?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls