Reply To: 787 DREAMLINER DELAY TO BA

Back to Forum

rferguson
Participant

Hey Canucklad,

No, for whatever reason the current BA management are determined to keep the fleets separate. Amongst the crew themselves there is majority support on both sides of Mixed/Legacy fleets to work alongside each other. But I guess the reality is, BA does not want legacy fleet crew to have any sense of comfort in the longevity of their current T&C’s. I think the wish is that over the next 5-10 years as our share of flying continues to shrink (especially the lucrative earning routes) the majority of us will just leave the company – take redundancy, part-time contracts,perhaps eventually there will be a carrot dangled to give up our contract and transfer to MF (the ex BMI crew were offered £10K to take a Mf contract). But yes, I think the plan is for within ten or so years for legacy fleet to basically not exist. Allowing the two fleets to work alongside each other would hamper this outcome.

What we are seeing with the 787 I guess is more Mixed Fleet ways of working in terms of closer performance management and development. With such a huge amount of crew on the legacy fleet and down to the fact that you very rarely fly with each other it is easy to be terrible at your job yet slip through the net. Short of being caught stealing or being witnessed trashing your hotel room, it is very difficult to sift out the bad apples. When we will be flying with the same team and manager every 4-6 weeks, it will be a lot easier to identify those that aren’t doing their job properly. Which is perhaps why there are some very vocal opponents to the ‘team’ concept within the crew community. But the plan is to trial this on the 787 fleet, followed by the A380 fleet and eventually being rolled out across legacy fleet.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls