Reply To: BA & Customer Service

Back to Forum

PatJordan
Participant

I sympathise with Bullfrog and Binman62. I have no doubt that the BA staff they spoke to are under strict instructions to comply with the Date Protection Act…fear of disciplinary action by the company is a sure way to ensure Standard Operational Procedures are fully complied with.

However, there are two aspects to laws: the letter and the spirit of that law.

In Binman’s case I presume he made the entire redemption booking himself; therefore his Executive Club account and his credit card were used to fund the seat cost and taxes, etc.

That being the case it should have been clear that the entire booking was indeed his.

It doesn’t take rocket science to resolve this issue: simply empower your staff to make the decision to constructively deal with somebody in Binman’s situation. Surely a BA Gold card suggests a long term customer relationship (and high revenue for BA) which should count for something.

That would be good customer care, within the spirit of the Data Protection Act and good for BA’s bottom line: all of which would be good for shareholders too. Any HR professional would agree that empowerment is an excellent motivation tool also

Am I being too simpistic? Very possibly, but very often it’s the best way. Safe travels all,

Pat

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls