Reply To: To fly or not to fly BA?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways To fly or not to fly BA? Reply To: To fly or not to fly BA?

VintageKrug
Participant

1. STRIKES

There is very limited likelihood of any strikes actually happening, though the union will claim “overwhelming support” from the diminishing membership of BASSA. Duncan Holley himself has stated that he does not believe this vote will result in the withdrawal of labour, and is simply seeking to harm forward bookings by creating uncertainty in the minds of passengers such as us.

Even if strikes do happen, the only impact will be on a small proportion of shorthaul destinations, with most destinations being served at least once per day.

So the strike concern is not really relevant.

2. FOOD

Personally, I don’t think it’s half as bad as people make out on here, especially in First. Certainly several other carriers do better, and BA needs to up its game on this issue but there is a certain amount of unhelpful hyperbole in describing what is served on board; I’ve never been served a truly bad meal.

By all accounts there are significant changes coming in May, and I read here this morning there is to be a £10m investment in this area to improve quality.

So I think everyone’s concerns on this front are being addressed.

3. OVERPRICED

If you can take advantage of the many sale fares (there’s one on at the moment), are a shareholder in IAG and can benefit from 10% off, or can justify departing exEU and avoid the several hundred pounds of APD, BA can be much more cost-effective considering the hard product and route network provided. It’s especially good value if you can book and upgrade (and although this can be a challenge, there is most certainly availability if you can plan ahead or book last minute).

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE

I do notice an element of grumpiness about the place; hopefully once the IA issues are dealt with this will dissipate. It will still need focus as it is something which is often less apparent on other carriers; hopefully having found savings BA will now be able to invest in customer service, unencumbered by the BASSAmentalists and supported by a new Union leadership who will champion such activities, rather than frustrate them. When I do have a problem, I get excellent recovery, including (usually) a phone call to address my concerns and compensation.

5. WOW Factor

I think the T5 Lounges certainly have wow factor. I think the new http://www.ba.com/first certainly has the wow factor. There is a new economy product out there which I have sat in and while it isn’t “wow” it is pretty good. I think the often fun yet professional attitude of many crew has the wow factor. So does the CWLCY service, the new 777-300ERs.

It’s not bling. BA doesn’t do bling, and that isn’t a problem for me.

The fact BAEC revised its mileage earning policy in Economy should also appeal and gaining status on BA is not as difficult as might first it might seem to be; membership certainly has its priviliges..!