Reply To: Where do you think BA SHOULD start flying to?

Back to Forum

HonestCrew
Participant

I spoke to someone recently who made a good point of why BA doesn’t fly to certain Asian destinations, for example Seoul.

To make it really viable, it needs to open doors for pax to connect to other regional cities within South Korea.
This will generally require use of another One World Alliance or partner airline.
Korean Air is extremely dominant and a member of Skyteam so that is pretty much a dead end. BA have to rely on Cathay flying to these smaller cities, therefore pax transferring through Hong Kong.

BA used to fly Manchester to JFK. Having operated this route many times, the pax are fantastic. Relaxed, friendly holiday makers. Unfortunately very few business travellers and the majority of seats take in the Club World cabin were upgradesdue to overselling the flight. Also very very few foreign pax who do make up a large percent of BA’s customer base.

Business travellers = profit. Holiday makers not so much. Could BA fly an economy only aircraft and make a profit? I don’t know but as VK says there is a team of people constantly evaluating routes, that is their job and I trust them that if there is a route worth flying to, BA would fly there.

I was also told our domestic routes provide only 4% of BA’s business. This adds fuel to the fire that the new High Speed Rail link planned for the UK would not make much of a difference to internal flights and the environmental savings would be minimal. Billions spent on a new train line saving very little time. Travelling from London, what will you do with your extra 20 minutes in Birmingham?
We need that 3rd runway at LHR

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls