Reply To: Heston Blumenthal tackles airline foodCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways Heston Blumenthal tackles airline food Reply To: Heston Blumenthal tackles airline food

Flytoomuch
Participant

Just got back from LHR-SIN-LHR on BA, Premium on the way out and Club on return. First long-haul BA since the programme and looking forward to a Heston revolution. It wasn’t very evident. I was disappointed that the pie wasn’t on offer, but had a chicken dish that was better than I remember BA economy food being. They’ve also altered the presentation ever so slightly, getting rid of the pictures on the foil. I approve. However, the wine was undrinkable. On Club, returning from SIN, I’d had a meeting run late and missed dinner on the ground, so I ordered a steak. Cooked through – I wouldn’t call it a steak, but surprisingly tasty. I had a little banter with the steward, and he pointed out it was the most popular choice in Club… on the plus side, the vegetables weren’t overcooked and the Chardonnay was so good, I had more than my customary.

As for the programme itself, the most telling bit was the ineptness of the BA tasting programme and the Gate Gourmet head chef (for BA) – as commented on earlier. However, from experience, it wouldn’t surprise me if the editing did BA a disservice.

Also, if Heston has really stumbled on something with the ‘umami’, perhaps BA’s winning cost-cutting solution would be to substitute it’s present offerings with cheap MSG-laden Chinese takeaway?