Reply To: Heston Blumenthal tackles airline food

Back to Forum

VintageKrug
Participant

I agree entirely with the comments above.

I never actually appreciated how complex delivering a Club World service is from such a limited galley; though I have to say it does normally appear to be more effortless than that crew made it appear.

Lots of flapping and concern over workload, rather than passenger service focus.

However, the crewmembers were delighted by the feedback from passengers, which does go to show if crew could become proud of the food they served, and indeed the airline for which they work, then it might improve service perception on the part of passengers.

I was SHOCKED by the gategourmet guy – Steven Walpole – who never considered how his food actually tasted at altitude, I mean what DOES he spend his days doing?

Why oh why are BA staff tasting the menu ON THE GROUND. I mean DUH! That sort of idiocy makes me mad!!

All dishes should be tasted in pressure chambers, with noise (apparently it affects taste too..) and should be reheated in the convection ovens used on board most aircraft.

Surprised they didn’t have Heston on board the new 777-300ERs with the new steam ovens in First, and an opportunity to showcase the new products in F, W and Y.

What BA – and most airlines – need to do is to ditch these celeb chefs and put the money into some really excellent food technologists; people like Heston but without the ego and paypacket who can really improve the taste and moisture content of simple dishes.

Also for someone from BA to work directly with the crew to understand how their lives could be made as easy as is reasonably possible, while ensuring they understand and are proud to serve the food on offer.

I haven’t done a BA longhaul for a few months, but by all accounts the food, especially in Club World, is not what it should be.

It’s good to hear that there are to be improvements in the on board premium cabin food service, slated for introduction around May. It can’t come soon enough.

Now, where do I purchase a “nasal douche”?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls