Reply To: What should BA do with the Heathrow Concorde?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways What should BA do with the Heathrow Concorde? Reply To: What should BA do with the Heathrow Concorde?

Guest_Poster
Participant

alexlondon – 11/06/2013 09:55 GMT

My opinion is that the Tu144 should never have entered airline service in the first place and I base that on conversations with engineers who had knowledge of the type – it had some inherent major issues. You will note that I did comment on the Concorde crash occuring during operations, acknowledging the difference.

Concorde had a long service in years, although the fleet logged relatively low cycles by airline standards and thus the high figure is not comparable with a mainstream type like the 747; there were a few close shaves, but only one crash and this is manifest evidence of the skill of the crews and the excellence of the support/engineering functions.

Still, I doubt that the Concorde would be certified today, the risks arising from the trade offs necessary to achieve the amazing performance would be considered unacceptable in today’s certification climate.

Concorde was a beautiful design and an amazing aircraft.