Reply To: BA: ‘Mixed Fleet’ Debuts

Back to Forum

CallMeIshmael
Participant

VK Pre-WW, when BA was being run as a team in harmony your example is exactly what occurred – it is not a mixed fleet innovation. When dire situations arose the disruption agreement was invoked and problem solved as a team.

Walsh precipitated the dispute by breaking agreements. The agreements are the foundation of the working relationship. His cavalier attitude of – well we can discuss the changes but they are going to happen regardless – is not the right way to garner a positive response. (I know that having been a COO of a multi-national company leading thousands many of which were union members).

WW leadership skills are appalling. He may be good at the strategic mergers but his man management will leave an enduring toxic legacy.

For such a people orientated business his tactics will adversely impact the morale and motivation throughout the company for years after the CC dispute is resolved. I fully expect an exodus of talent once the economic situation allows.

Unfortunately the arrival of Keith Williams may be a lost opportunity as I understand he intends to follow Walsh’s methods even though he has greater emotional intelligence? FDs/CFOs seldom make good CEOs in people centric businesses.

Walsh’s strategic destination is laudable. His execution is dire.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls