Reply To: BA: ‘Mixed Fleet’ DebutsCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways BA: ‘Mixed Fleet’ Debuts Reply To: BA: ‘Mixed Fleet’ Debuts

VintageKrug
Participant

I am really looking forward to my Mixed Fleet flights next year.

A youthful and enthusiastic mixed fleet cabin crew – unencumbered by antiquated working practices, without the possibility of strike action and a tight customer-centric focus is just what British Airways needs.

At the same time cash saved on superfluous and overpaid crew will allow both investment in the “soft” product on board, as well as longer term capital for projects such as new First and improved economy and premium economy products.

In addition, new routes are being opened up which simply were not economic under the old arrangements.

I continue to receive good to excellent service from existing cabin crew, but for the most part their academic achievements are irrelevant to my enjoyment of the experience, and service is not correlated to rates of pay.

The cabin crew role was a career in the past, when high margins and a lack of low cost/any competition preserved margins. But it is not the sort of occupation where one can expect to progress to a £50k++ position any longer, and now the £30k++ roles are both fewer and very much based on regular performance reviews rather than the outdated “years served” approach, I expect to see as good if not better calibre crew in such positions under the future model.

BA will maintain those rates of pay/T&Cs for those hardworking and longer serving crew who continue to support their employer effectively, and deliver great service.

Mixed Fleet is a great move for customers, shareholders and the future profitability and growth potential of the airline, as well as the ability of the airline to sustain the current pay scales and T&Cs for those remaining cabin crew on more generous, older contracts.