Reply To: Unite/BASSA to Strike 20/3 for 3 Days, 27/3 for 4 DaysCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways Unite/BASSA to Strike 20/3 for 3 Days, 27/3 for 4 Days Reply To: Unite/BASSA to Strike 20/3 for 3 Days, 27/3 for 4 Days

markymark
Participant

Hi VintageKrug,

As my flatmate works for BA (very junior crew), I receive info from the other side.
From what I understand Unite is as bad too. However, I would be quite annoyed too if I signed a contract and found out that my work would gradually decrease until there are no flights for me and would not have any choice but leave or move to a new fleet with totally different conditions.

The problem is you have on one hand a company and CEO who does not give a damn about its employees (and this can be applied to lots of blue chip Co) and is concerned about making shareholders happy as well as receiving a good bonus, and on the other hand employees who are fighting to make a living.
And once again you will see the typical where the CEO is earning a fortune and the employees peanuts (perhaps they should have a Look at the John Lewis Partn for some advice).

Being cabin crew is a lifestyle choice and why would you have to leave if you enjoy your work.

At the end of the end, everybody is looking after their own interest: company making money, crew keeping salary and conditions, pilots after their pensions (hence the reason they want the company to get back profit soon)…

I don’t understand either why London Underground, Royal Mail or Civil servants staff fro example do not get the same exposure and criticism when they go on strike as BA crew (perhaps their companies don’t spend as much money in PR campaign).

At the end of the day, we are all very selfish and look after own little interests, and wathever pressure BA staff get from oustide, good on them for fighting for their rights and not letting their employers going back to 1950s working conditions.