Reply To: BA nightmare

Back to Forum

StephenLondon
Participant

I’ve had it with BA. They’ve cancelled my flight now for the past two days, citing “weather” as the issue. What weather? We’ve hardly had a drop of precipitation in London, I’ve been at LHR and the runways are clear and functioning, other airlines operating on time with no delays or issues. Why are BA cancelling so many flights?

Looking at the board today, they’ve cancelled a range of domestic UK flights, plus some other long-haul flights that they operate once daily – Bangalore, Seattle, Montreal, etc. The weather isn’t too cold out (it is above freezing) and there is no major fog. What, then, BA is the weather issue?

I’ve had to find my own hotel for two nights at my expense, plus pricey meals in hotel restaurants, and the staff at T5 are rather flippant, one lady giggling “oh, you’ve been cancelled again today, sir”. No email, nothing pro-active from BA. I finally lost it. Someone from “customer experience team” was dispatched to speak with me, and confessed that BA are having trouble de-icing their planes, as they don’t have enough equipment.

How can this be?

Surely sufficient planning would be in place with a major, prestige carrier such as BA. Clearly not. But de-icing is an operational issue, not a weather issue. Are BA shirking their responsibility to their customers, and perhaps flouting their exposure to European law? How do the home airlines at airports such as Moscow, Frankfurt, Paris, Chicago and Tokyo manage to get their planes up in the air with all their sub-zero, windy, snowy climates, yet BA cancels with hardly a worry in the world? Maybe loads were so light on BA, they are combining some flights? Who can say…but it is hugely frustrating.

I’ve now opted for a refund, and have booked a business class ticket with another carrier, who, oddly, are operating all of their flights on time today.

And although I’ve been asked to “write in to customer relations” and request a refund, I doubt I’ll see a penny. Perhaps my letter will get lost in the snow?!

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls