Reply To: Where has BA’s service gone?

Back to Forum

JordanD
Participant

I’ve got to disagree with VintageKrug’s description of economy class BA food. My recent experience on BA economy food – LHR-HKG in Sept and LHR-BOM/BOM-LHR(STN) in Dec/Jan – has on the whole been very positive.

I’m not saying that they were wholesale perfect, but they were very good. As someone who regularly has Indian food at home, on the LHR-BOM leg, I was thoroughly impressed by the chicken curry which was the option (as were my parents): we all commented that it was one of the best ‘non-homemade’ curries we’d had.

One thing that does jar is the apparent failings in the wholesale service. Yes, I’ve noticed the little ‘snackbites’ no longer being there (to be honest, the pretzels never bothered me, I got upset when they got rid of the far superior peanuts). What bothers me more is the issues with loading of meals: on a flight to India, there are a large number of passengers who request ‘special meals’, often due to religious reasons. The vast number of these meals are vegetarian meals. It shouldn’t take a brain scientist to point out to BA that if a large number of passengers are requesting special meals/special vegetarian meals, then the rest of the passengers are not going to be the ‘normal’ long haul mix of vegetarian/non-vegetarian passengers; rather it’ll be skewed with more non-vegetarian passengers. So whilst I was just got a non-veg meal, I would have been fairly furious if, like I other passengers, I was to find that only vegetarian options were left.

Also, why is it that on the route to India, BA in economy only offer Indian-style food? What happened to the days of an Indian-style meal and a western-style meal? If they can manage similar on the route to Hong Kong (one meal was ‘Chinese-style’, one was western), why not to Mumbai?

I should add that the last two BA meals I had (both Club Europe, LGW-BLQ-LGQ) were not as good in the area of main course, although the cheese & dessert were both good!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls