Reply To: BA New First Class??Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways BA New First Class?? Reply To: BA New First Class??

Senator
Participant

Dear all,
I recently had the opportunity to experience the new LX business and first products on the ZRH-JFK route and can come with a direct comparison.

BA NCW versus LX business – I have only travelled day time in the BA NCW from CAI to LHR on upper deck of the B747 in the excellent rear-facing seat near the emergency exit. This may be one of the best, if not best seats on any aircraft I have experienced. A very comfortable, private experience.

The LX business cabin on the A330-300 can feel a bit cramped in comparison. Nevertheless, the seat was very comfortable for sleeping and finally LX has upgraded pillows and blankets. I would rank the seat 8/10 on the sleeping meter, and 6/10 for privacy. The biggest advantage of the NCW seat in sleeping position is that your lower body is not “trapped” in a cocoon like many other seats are. The LX seat you really disappear under the seat in front of you. For the same price, time table, and guaranteed upper deck seat I would take the BA NCW seat over the LX seat. However, there are some nice quiet seats (4A and 4K) on the A330-300 for solo travelers and I would recommend it as LX are offering stellar fares to many destinations and ZRH is a breeze to connect through.

Now, on LX there is a major difference on the First product as compared to the Business offer. I was very impressed with the new product. The seat included a 23” monitor, and you have the choice to feel “included” or “secluded”. I managed 2 hours of sleep on the day flight after indulging in the F&B service. LX provided a better meal than BA First. In this aspect, I would not hesitate to pick LX over BA. However, I can get ARN-JFK on LX for around £1200 return, and First would be £3600…. The leap from Y to C is greater than C to F, so I wouldn’t spend the extra money. I agree with previous posters that C today provide stellar experience and F is not justified in many cases.
I am trying to pick up more BA NCW trips later in the year so I can really test this out. I have a JNB run coming in April. However, LX will move to position 1 with the new product and their excellent fares ex.ARN.