Reply To: BA New First Class??Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways BA New First Class?? Reply To: BA New First Class??

VintageKrug
Participant

It does rather resemble the same colour palette as Club World, but I think the real distinction will be in the technological innovations, larger AVOD screen, bigger seat, whizzy new electronically occluded windows and the general cabin ambience.

The current F cabin works, it is just looks a little Country House rather than Contemporary City Centre Apartment.

Here is the latest news:

New F seats are in Cardiff, where the BA Maintenance Centre lives, for first two aircraft to be refitted.

The first Aircraft will be a 777, to be completed “in next couple of weeks” (seems to be G-VIIU) next will be a 747 likely to be completed by March (likely to be G-CIVF).

Test and CAA certification will have to be completed on both airframes prior to passenger service, there will then have to be a proving period where any crew training and technical issues can be ironed out before the rollout begins in earnest.

BA has approximately 90 longhaul aircraft with an F cabin. There are, I understand, two production lines for aircraft refits/servising.

Assuming the potential for turning round each F cabin refit in a little under two weeks, plus the fact that there will be some new deliveries and some retirement of older airframes, I would estimate a worst case scenario timescale about 18 months-2 years for the complete fleet fitout.

Of course lots of things can impact that, as we have seen in the past, but the bottom line is you are less likley to be on a plane with new F during 2010, more likley during 2011 and almost definately during 2012.