Reply To: AA will not get my business…ever again

Back to Forum

RichHI1
Participant

Martyn Sinclair: No, following Vinatge Krug’s comments, I clarified with One World.

AA, BA, QANTAS and other airlines belong to One World Alliance.

One World alliance policy is elite members have access to other One World member lounges.

Within One World, Member Airlines are allowed to apply local rules to their own members. AA do this and restrict lounge access to AAdvantage members on domestic flights.

I believe Qantas do or did do somehting similar (as they also have a large domestic network) and I believe BA used to or still do restrict access to T5/T4 as was Concorde Room for some Silver and Gold Members (though as AA EXP I never have a problem accessing irrespective of destination).

If you are a non AAdvantage One World Elite member (e.g. BAEC) you are entitled to have access to Admirals Club and or Flagship lounges (depending on One World level) as long as you are on a One World flight that day irrespective of destination. Different rules apply where the One World airline at that station (Airport or terminal) is sharing a lounge run by a non One World Member.

So AA members fare worse on Lounge access in AA lounges than BA, Qantas, JAL members etc.

The Domestic/International distinction is relevant to AAdvantage members and those like Steevescoots are trying to get lounge access on ticket class alone.

A Red Herring is an oversmoked fish that was sent to the far flung parts of the British Empire in the days before domestic refrigeration.
Pray God they don’t replace the peanuts in the lounges with Red Herrings because they have a longer shelf life…

As all alliances are moving away from airline lounges towards allliance lounges to save money, I suspect these differences will disapppear in International Gateways and smaller stations will have their lounges cut by the “bean counters”.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls