Reply To: Aer Lingus rejects IAG offer again

Back to Forum

BigDog.
Participant

Am in agreement with Simon and Canucklad
As an IAG shareholder it is a good move as Aer Lingus is already performing well and as long as IAG leave it alone, will compliment current BA operations. It also takes out what could become a significant emerging competitor and banked hub location for Atlantic routes on its doorstep – especially for regional pax as already noted.

However, as a free market advocate, I view it as a spoiler, a bad move for passengers and employees alike. I would prefer to see Aer Lingus increase the ex-DUB market (fed by Ryanair) with all its attractions, on its own – which it has already admirably started doing. Imo it will be in the best interests of the company, employees, passengers and Eire economy to continue – maybe assisted by a non European partner.

The IAG buy-out imo is anti-competitive and will increase the strangle hold on the fully utilised LHR that IAG already has – around 10x as many slots when compared to the next biggest.

Further, for the US-Eire relations already stated plus Walsh is Dublin born with very close connections in the Irish government, being Chair of its debt agency, I do not see any risk whatsoever of the Aer Lingus brand being subsumed as some predict.

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/ireland-taps-airline-chief-walsh-for-debt-agency-as-bailout-exit-nears-2105381.html

However as is well known he cannot be trusted…..

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/iag-ceo-willie-walsh-i-have-no-designs-on-aer-lingus-30668258.html

Great pity Christoph Mueller is off to the toughest job in aviation – reviving Malaysia Airlines, as he would be well capable of delivering substantial growth with an independent Aer Lingus (or partnered with SQ, CX, EY) alternatively a shoe in as an ethical IAG boss.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls