Reply To: Aer Lingus A320-214 Economy (short haul)

Back to Forum

PatJordan
Participant

DUB-LHR-DUB

I hadn’t yet tried Aer Lingus service since they moved to Terminal 2, preferring BMI. However, I decided to give it a go.

Booking on http://www.aerlingus.com is an easy process. Being registered on their site ( I was formerly a Gold Circle Prestige cardholder), my details are saved. On-line check-in is possible from 30 hours prior to departure, and in the case of same day return flights, the return leg can be checked-in at the same time. Or rather, that used to be the case.

Now only the individual flight less than 30 hours prior to departure can be checked in online.

However, there is a new feature: Advance check-in: this is available for flights between 30 days and 24hours prior to departure. My return flight fitted into this category. Pax must have availed of advance seat selection to use this feature, so I decided to pay the fee and have both flights checked in.

Not so. Despite paying the required seat selection fee, the website steadfastly refused to allow me to check in for my return flight. I had to return to my pc later to complete the process. This is a Ryanair type of stunt and not one which I expect from a carrier of Aer lingus status.

Interestingly, my email to Aer Lingus (their Loyalty section!!!) remains unacknowledged and unresponded to three days later!

Dublin Airport Termnal 2 is a large airy building and used mainly be Aer Lingus and Transatlantic carriers. Security was relatively swift, and there was a good range of airside shops and cafes. The Aer Lingus lounge in T2 is shared with Dublin Airport Authority, Skyteam. It is a large room with full length windows overlooking the apron. There is a good range of snacks and beverages, business area and a quiet area with large comfy armchairs.

My flight departed from gate 407 which was a short walk from the lounge. The AIRBUS 320 was immaculate with navy leather seats and grey carpets. Cabin crew were very friendly, and after a brief announcement, we pushed back precisely at 9.00am, landing in LHR AT 1005AM.

The service is a paid for system, and I enjoyed my fry-up with coffee and juice; a good price at 9.00euros.

I arrived at LHR early for my return flight. I had paid for lounge access for both flights. 20Euros each, which I feel is good value, and a useful revenue stream for Aer Lingus.

The LHR T1 lounge is beside the departure gates and this is much more convenient than BMI. I hadn’t been in this lounge for many months and was amazed at the excellent refurbishment: truly a transformation. Browns, beige, light blues and greens make it a very pleasant place to while away the time. Restrooms of a high quality have been added as well as a business centre (from which I am taking advantage of compimentary internet access to write this review!).

Soup and sandwiches are now available and are of good quality. There is a good range of snacks and beverages on offer. Sadly, my 2045 flight is delayed to 2230hrs, but given the facilities here it is not a major issue. One important detail is that the very friendly lady at the reception once again wears the Aer Lingus uniform.

Overall this was a very pleasant return flight, delays notwithstanding. Aer Lingus frontline staff are truly excellent, as always.

However what let the side down was the appalling indifference to my query about being charged for a seat selection which I was told (by the Aer Lingus website) was mandatory to avail of check-in at that particular time.

This is a recurring issue with Aer Lingus, and one of the reasons I am now a BMI Diamond Club Gold card holder, having once being Aer Lingus Prestige.

The facility to pay for lounge access is excellent, particularly when there is a long delay.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls