Reply To: Chasing Monarch for compensation

Back to Forum

TiredOldHack
Participant

Those with long memories may remember how I was bumped off a Monarch charter flight to Grenoble in early 2013. To cut a long story short, the aircraft had a cracked windscreen, and after a long (four hour) delay, passengers were filtered onto two smaller Airbus aircraft, the selection for who got the first flight being down to those who went to get their £5 meal vouchers for the delay.

Yours truly had a lounge pass, so didn’t bother. And had to sit and wait for the second aircraft.

At the time, dear old Monarch miraculously escalated a cracked windscreen to one that had “shattered in flight”. I recall someone here revealing that no, it was just a cracked screen, and they didn’t have a replacement at LGW.

Needless to say, Monarch decided that this constituted ‘extraordinary circumstances’ and they didn’t have to cough.

Anyway, a firm of ambulance-chasing lawyers got nowhere with Monarch who just ignored correspondence, so a second team has been sent in to bat. The interesting first riposte from Monarch is that they had no record of my travelling with them.

How long to airlines have to keep passenger rosters? Does anyone know? Anyway, copies of the relevant booking details have been supplied, so we’ll see what transpire.

Watch this space.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls