Reply To: Qatar Airways: Stockholm Arlanda – Sydney, J class, c£1550

Back to Forum

rferguson
Participant

I know! And that’s what amazed me Alex. How are these ME3 airlines really making money? I booked a similar deal with QR ex ARN a few months ago via DOH/NRT outbound (with JL NRT-SYD) and HKG/DOH on the return (QF SYD – HKG). I paid around £1800 for the whole itinerary. What’s more, when I check the loads in J on the QR sectors I am flying they are still WIIIDE open. Hardly any tickets have been sold in J class. So they offer fares to SYD c£1800, share that with JL and QF – what is the return for them? Then a few months later they still have so much availability they are selling seats on the same flights for even less (although it seems JL and QF have said thanks but no thanks this time).

I do wonder how many full fare J class passengers they really do carry and what their overall J class yield is like.

Just to clarify – i’m not having a ‘ME3 dig’ or alleging subsidies etc etc. But you’ve got to beg the question!

Could QR be taking the approach EK seemed to take five-10 years ago? Offer very low fares in J enticing loyal business from other carriers to give it a try, hook them, then ramp the fares up?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls