Reply To: Which airlines offer premium economy lounge access?

Back to Forum

RichardB
Participant

I think what defines premium economy is that the seat is different to economy class. both bigger seat pitch and wider. and it’s a separate cabin and after take off people are not free to move around and reseat themselves from economy -> premium economy. Also I would expect a different booking class and if you buy an economy ticket you can’t choose a seat in “premium economy” just because of FF status.

This would mean that Finnair don’t have what is called premium economy on their longhaul planes. Neither does KLM. Both offer economy seats with extra legroom. If you call this “premium economy” then the exit row seats can be called “premium economy”.

British Airways does have premium economy, as do NZ and CX. They match the conditions I mentioned at the start.

There are exceptions to the rules though. Onboard finnair the flight attendants stop anyone moving from economy -> economy comfort. They remove the headrest covers once boarding is completed to keep track of the occupied seats. They then try to sell off empty economy comfort seats for cash (although i have seen few takers). Status with One World also gets you a finnair economy comfort seat for free.

It would be nice if corporate travel policies recognized premium economy. Since real economy seems on a downward spiral (narrower seats on 787 and 777) and going to Australia on a business trip is no fun in economy if you work for the typical nordic company that has an economy class for all travel policy (regardless of the length of the flight). In finland since finnair don’t offer premium economy then travel policies don’t mention PE at all.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls