Reply To: BA and Ryanair: Number of complaints each airline receivesCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA and Ryanair: Number of complaints each airline receives Reply To: BA and Ryanair: Number of complaints each airline receives

FDOS_UK
Participant

rferguson – 20/09/2015 19:29 BST

Interesting points, 1 & 2.

Airlines with a low cost focus cannot afford delays nor mishandled baggage.

Ryanair has achieved an over 90% ‘on time’ despatch rate so far this year

http://corporate.ryanair.com/about-us/punctuality/

It would be interesting to analyse easyJet and see if their decision to fly to main airports impacts their punctuality record.

As they say at Southwest “wheels up”, because your asset isn’t productive when they are down.

With regard to baggage handling, there is a link to punctuality in that it is a potential source of delay (as well as a cost), so low cost focus airlines like to minimise it. Mishandled baggage is also a cost (couriers etc.)

So there is a very strong driver to be on time and not to lose bags for low cost focus airlines.

By comparison, my son’s suitcase was mishandled at T5 on Thursday morning and delivered by courier mid-afternoon on Sunday and he has already claimed £50 essential items from BA, as he is staying with us and the majority of his stuff is in his flat in Leicester. That has probably wiped quite a bit of the profit margin of his cheap economy class ticket.

Finally, not everyone complains to get Avios – I very clearly directed the CSD on my last but one BA flight to make a note that I did not want Avios.

I would rather sit in a clean seat and I have not (nor do I intend to) book any more flights with BA in the forseeable future, now I live in the regional UK and have lots of options.

This is only my speculation, but I imagine the majority of passengers who are miffed do not claim, as they cannot be bothered.

For the short haul air travel markets, both easyJet and Ryanair individually carry more pax than the whole of the IAG stable, so BA is a good ‘Mr Punch’ with a widely known brand to beat up in their campaigns, but I doubt think Ryanair even regard BA as serious competition (too small in the markets where both are active) and reference to the link above shows that FR are trying to get one up on easyJet, who they do compete with.

As to your point about marketing puffery, I agree; the sad thing is that BA does have some good product ( The World Traveller Plus seat in the 787 is world class IMHO), but too much is overhyped mediocrity. On the other hand, Ryanair has a clear value proposition, basically they get you from A to B on time, in new aircraft and at low prices.