Reply To: BA 777 Vegas-Gatwick on fire – passengers safe

Back to Forum

canucklad
Participant

Firstly the QF incident….. The commander chose not to evacuate, deeming that his passengers would be safer on-board whilst the emergency services secured the apron. If memory serves me, they were on board for quite a considerable time whilst the fire services tried to stop the engine with water ?

Back to the engines and the FAA directive……
And unless I’m missing something here, the engines in this incident where not part of this directive, as the specific part (compressor) concerned was older and of a different design.

And Simon, you’re right. Thankfully most of us haven’t had to evacuate. Personally there’s been a couple of occasions when I was expecting to be shown the brace position and all that goes with it…but I’ve never been tested to see how I would personally re-act. But I’m sure airlines /aviation industry have conducted research into how groups of people respond. Was watching a documentary on the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustav last night and a company using behavioural software accurately predicted the survival rate.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls