Reply To: BA 777 Vegas-Gatwick on fire – passengers safe

Back to Forum

StephenLondon
Participant

Agree with LuganoPirate, good job they weren’t going faster or even airborne…it could have been far worse!

I, too, carry my phone, keys, passport and wallet in my pockets until the seatbelt sign is off, and I keep my shoes on, just in case. As a child, there was a docu-drama on television about a DC-10 crash in the US featuring a lady who had taken her shoes off before take-off. She had little left of her feet after fleeing through the flames post-crash, and the image has always stuck in my mind. It is almost a recurring nightmare! Thus, I keep shoes on for take-off and landing.

Unless baggage was obstructing the aisle (and thus impeding a swift exit), there is no excuse for people to have their baggage on the tarmac with them. Recent pics of a TK accident showed even the cabin crew wheeling their bags away after going off the runway. It defies belief. Apart from identity documents and perhaps your keys/wallet/phone, what else is so important that you can’t replace. What if you were seriously injured because Mr or Ms Selfish slowed your exit because of their precious crap in a wheelie? Ugh!

Bravo crew for getting everyone out, and to the pilot for being so incredibly calm. The ATC feed is chilling to listen to…

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls