Reply To: American Eagle CRJ-700

Back to Forum

Ciprian Hirlea
Keymaster

24/1/2015; AA3478; LGA – DTW; Economy

I booked this flight using BA Avios and was happy that it “cost” only 9,000 Avios and $10! The regular fare was nearly $400, so a fair saving! Despite me having no elite status with BA (I’m only a Blue member), the AA boarding card stated I had Priority Access. This meant the use of fast track security and priority boarding. A google search showed that this is a “glitch” when booking AA via BA Avios! Anyhow, I wasn’t complaining!

I arrived at a snowy La Guardia airport about 2 hours prior to departure. As I was travelling with hand luggage only and had printed off my boarding pass at home, I went straight to security. Fast track wasn’t needed here as there was absolutely no one in the queue. I was through security in less than 5 minutes – probably one of the fastest and easiest security screenings I’ve been through! LGA is a small airport so wasn’t a huge walk to the gates.

Boarding commenced on time and was one of the first to board via the jet bridge. Priority boarding was not really required as there were only about 20 passengers on this morning flight to Detroit. We settled into our seats and then the captain advised that we had a change of aircraft and we should disembark! The cabin crew and pilots were also on the plane ready for action. Must have gone tech or an issue due to the snow! As there were 20 of us it wasn’t a big deal disembarking, but could have been very time consuming and frustrating had it been a full flight.

We then boarded the 2nd aircraft and then were told we had to wait for the plane to be de-iced which took about 20 minutes. I was sat one row behind the exit seats and the CC was happy for me to move there. We finally departed about 1 hour behind schedule. Non-alcoholic drinks were complimentary with alcoholic drinks and snacks available to purchase. As the flight was empty, service was very good with soft drinks being topped up.

The plane was generally clean with blue leather upholstered seats. The exit seat naturally had lots of legroom. The economy cabin was a 2-2 layout and the first class cabin was 1-2 layout. The first class seats were obviously a bit larger but legroom seemed the same as economy. There appeared to be an issue with the lavatory by overhearing a passenger speak with the CC. The CC then took a bottle of nearly full water from the drinks trolley and went in the lavatory and returned with half, so appeared to be a flush issue! I then watched to see what happened to that bottle of water! Fortunately it did not make it back on the drinks trolley!!

We had a smooth landing at DTW and was impressed by this large airport. We entered the terminal by jet bridge and was in a taxi 5 minutes later on the way to Downtown for the motor show!

Overall a great flight, primarily because it was empty!

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user SunnyM can be found here

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls