Reply To: BA 767 reliability

Back to Forum

Tirana1
Participant

Brother Jim,

1) There are no “industry standard” descriptions for mid-haul – and in any event, the duration for LHR-Almaty is 7.5 hours outbound, 8.5 back, so on any analysis it is long haul – and BA market it thus.

2) I have nowhere said that the 767 long haul product is not up to long haul – what I have said is that the aircraft is past its sell-by date – which given BA had intended to retire them some years ago is absolutely the case. They will also shortly be non-compliant for trans-Atlantic routes.The long haul product is the old style flat bed, with a small tv screen and in-seat power requiring a converter which is not otherwise a modern product. However, the flat bed is comfortable and guarantees a decent sleep – which is why I fly the route rather than other routes to Central Asian cities via Istanbul or Moscow.

3) LHR – Almaty is served exclusively by a 767 with BA – check out thebasource and you will see only 767’s on the route. Previously it was a BMI route which was a tag on and involved A321 stopping off en route to refuel in Tbilisi or A330 which then flew on to FRU.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls