Reply To: Aer Lingus rejects / now accepts IAG takeover offerCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Aer Lingus rejects / now accepts IAG takeover offer Reply To: Aer Lingus rejects / now accepts IAG takeover offer

PatJordan
Participant

Ireland’s Deputy PM is quoted here:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/tanaiste-joan-burton-pledges-to-protect-aer-linguss-lucrative-landing-slots-at-heathrow-30935421.html

I tend to believe that Aer Lingus would cease to exist if swallowed up by IAG.

The Gold Circle programme and it’s members would be the first casualties. I speak from bitter expererience, as a former BMI Diamond Club Gold member.

The US Pre-clearance facility attracts a lot of TALT business originating from the UK and Europe, and offers a lot of future growth in this marked.

In partnership with Stobart Air, EI have initiated and grown a number of routes serving smaller airports. This is an integral part of Aer Lingus business. Would IAG be as interested in this niche? I wonder…

Personally, I believe that keeping control of the Heathrow slots is vital for Ireland (as an Island). I also believe that the for opportunities to develop and grow new markets will benefit Aer Lingus only if it remains independent major airline conglomerates.