Reply To: World Airline Awards – Poor BA!

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

@ Ian_from_HKG – 19/06/2013 04:24 GMT

Thanks for your posting about Asian female cabin crew. And not being the font of all human wisdom, I am happy to take an occasional shellacking for posing questions and making the odd rather bald assertion (in the interest of “eliciting a response” you will understand… ) 🙂

Cheaper: maybe, but not always. Okay – yes I was aware of CX “no smile onboard” disputes but despite this, I still don’t know how their CC salary, pensions etc entitlements compare with BA’s or other Western carriers. It is just generally asserted as most likely being the case that Asian staff are cheaper but I’ve not ever seen any hard evidence either way. Are you any more knowledgeable about this?

More pliant? I was genuinely struck by the Youtube dating back to “Gatwick 1990” (!) and the comments made therein. I wonder whether and by how much such an attitude has changed in the intervening 23 years. On the basis of both my travel to parts of Asia and interaction, both socially and professionally, with the locals, I do not believe that this attitude has completely disappeared. As you clearly fly on more Asian carriers than I do, do you consider that this is not an aspect of their in-flight experience?

You assert that in some Asian jurisdictions, dismissing people is now next to impossible. But is this universally the case across the entire Asia-Pacific and Gulf regions? Is access to a trades union for negotiating purposes now universal? That too would appear unlikely – but far be it from me to describe your comment as ludicrous as a result!

Consistency of service is something that I would expect from a top-rated airline and/or service organisation and that is why it is no great surprise to see LH and LX within the top ranking. It is a dreadful shame that BA are not able to deliver the same consistency and this is clearly an area where BA’s management and staff are not delivering.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls