Reply To: World Airline Awards – Poor BA!

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

@ thebigseats – 19/06/2013 02:33 GMT

You are entitled to your opinion. I’m also entitled to pose the question about what is it that those who favour Asia-Pacific/Gulf carriers like?

The issue is clearly partly one of cheaper, pliant and more readily dismissible cabin crew from Asia. As you observe, British/European staff are more expensive. They also come encumbered with “silly” things like the expectation of pensions, sickness benefits, possibly even trades union negotiating rights and being able to work beyond age 30.

It is perhaps unintentionally revealing of your own attitudes and beliefs that you consider observations on such points to be “silly” but I wonder how such benefits compare for Asian staff? If my knowledge of Saudia were to apply to other Gulf carriers, then the answer would be “limited”, “limited” and then “absolutely not” (twice). These points, by the way, applied to the non-Saudi female staff; T&Cs were very different for the (Saudi-national) male managers…

As you are so critical of BA as doing an OK but not exceptional job – which you consider they are able to get away with because of their “perhaps lazy customer base…” – I am curious as to whether you too insist upon European/North American salary levels, pension entitlements, sickness benefits and the ability to work beyond thirty years or whether you are happy to work on “Asian T&Cs”?

Or might it be a case of “Just do as I say, not as I do?”

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls