Reply To: BA SeatingCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA Seating Reply To: BA Seating

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

Senator – 14/06/2013 07:39 GMT
Lastly, my personal view is to keep some “regionalisation” in mind when looking at competition. From my point of view, I tend to compare BA’s offer with the LH Group and AF/KLM. In this respect, I find the BA F offer a poor cousin, but CW stand out compared to AF/KLM and the mother-ship Lufthansa German Airlines. I can’t understand the poor planning in Cologne when it comes to their Business Class offer. The First Class is second to none, but Business is poor specially when compared to the stars of their own group: Austrian and Swiss. I think it is slightly misleading to compare BA to CX or even SQ as they are not BA’s main competitors. Both the AF/KLM group and LH Group come out poorly in comparison as well with CX and SQ with the notable exception of LH/LX and AF First.

Good morning Senator

Interesting that you choose LH & AF as your perceived main competitors for BA, well, interesting to me in that I have never used LH or AF long haul, have used both for short hops to Europe but they don’t make my list for anywhere meaningful because of their cabins which you rightly point out aren’t up to scratch. Having said that, one thing I was unaware of before joining this group is how good LH’s first class is, I might look into that a little more.

Given BA’s just lost a ton of custom to Australasia to EK, and given EK’s aggressive growth at UK regional airports (not to mention their 7 A380 flights from LHR) I would have put EK at the top of the list as a BA competitor, and back to seating, EK wins hands-down in the premium cabins.

I know AA & BA have their partnership, and clearly it must work for them, but if I am an AA customer and I enjoy their plush looking new cabins, and for whatever reason I need to reschedule and end up in Old First or a middle seat in CW, I think I’d be justifiably pee’d off and would begin to schedule my flights around AA – in fact – I’ve done just that on my trip in November, bypassed BA for AA’s new plane.

I guess it keeps coming back to the initial question of if/when BA will put something new on-board their planes to even catch-up with the opposition and what they are offering, it rather occurs to me if one of the competitive airlines were to offer a similar frequent flyer reward scheme it would hurt BA just as badly as their lack of on-board innovation.

Regards.
AOTG.