Reply To: BA Seating

Back to Forum

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

*Disclaimer – should this thread descend into farce, as almost 90% of any BA related thread does, it is not the intent of the poster to cause such*.

I’ve been wondering, in light of the delivery of new aircraft from BA which will of course now stand out as their flagship planes, where next for BA’s seating?

Forgetting the shambles that was/is “New First” for a moment, I am thinking more about how the competition have not only caught BA but dramatically improved their offerings in both First and Business. Taking all other aspects out of the equation, (lounges/routes/frequency/crew) I think specifically of the CW seat and the First Class seat aboard BA’s spanking new machinery.

My own opinion, and one which I note is by no means stand-alone, is that several of the Arab/Asian airlines have a significantly better hard product on-board. Also added to that mix, and one I’d consider a real threat were it me in WW’s shoes would be the new AA product. I’ve not read what AA’s roll-out schedule is, but if that product is half as good as it looks, and they can have it on a couple of decent transatlantic routes, it will blow BA out of the water on what is historically BA’s bread & butter.

With all that in mind, I do wonder what the strategy at BA is to try and even match what their competitors are offering? One of my own main motivators in booking business or first is what the on-board experience is: I can live with a hopeless lounge for an hour or two, if the service on-board is average then so be it, likewise the food – but if the seat is not to my liking then for me it is time to look for another way to fly. BA mustn’t have new product in the pipeline or you’d have thought it would indeed have been put onto their new metal, and I wonder for how much longer they will trail the competitors?

If they do introduce a new cabin, then their two shiny new A380’s will have the older fashioned seating on them, they are now almost damned if they do and damned if they don’t….not an enviable position to be in.

Regards.
AOTG.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls