Reply To: BA’s July 4th double celebration

Back to Forum

IanFromHKG
Participant

VintageKrug – 17/06/2013 10:15 GMT : In fact, quite apart from the usual criticisms, BA did intend to roll out its new cabins on the A380; it was the A380 delivery which was delayed, not the development of BA’s new cabins… [links to pages about new First, new WT+ and new WT] … The above cabins were rolled out on the 777-300ER in 2010

Nonetheless, VK, as noted many times on these pages, “New” First wasn’t a game-changer. I won’t comment on WT+ or WT as I have no recent experience of them or their competitors, and have no intention of doing so. However, I do feel qualified to comment on CW – and that cabin is notably absent from your list of “new” cabins, and is the cabin with which so much of this thread has been occupied.

Slice it or dice it how you will, the fact remains that there has been no significant change in the business class cabin for quite a few years, and it doesn’t seem as though there will be one for quite a few more years to come. BA missed an opportunity – even with the extra time they were given because of the delays in delivery! – to jump ahead of the competition as they did so many years ago. As a result, they will increasingly (IMHO) fall behind, particularly on key routes. Significantly better business class seats (which I understand to be the main revenue generator) are now being offered by, for example, AA for transatlantic, CX/SQ/MH for Asia etc. (I am sure there are many other examples besides), and the reality is that this trend is not going to change unless BA do something about it. Only they didn’t…

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls