Reply To: Flight BA762 LHR – Oslo emergency landing

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

@ BigDog. – 20/06/2013 15:47 GMT

Hmm, how many engines are BA consuming a week at present…? BA’s LHR second line maintenance must be being run ragged if this continues for much longer.

Alas and alack… I was reminded of my Summer vacation job in passenger handling with BA/British Airtours as was at LGW in the late 70s/early 80s. In those days, Airtours flew ex-mainline B707s which did not have an on-board auxiliary power unit and they required an air start to get the blades rotating.

So there we were one morning, plane fuelled, catered, fully loaded, trim approved, ATC slot given and chocks off. The tug starts the push back at which point I notice that the rubber hose between the port outboard engine and the air start is being str-e-t-c-h-e-d taut…. The ground engineer has forgotten to detach it… The tug driver, having not noticed the rubber hose stretching tight continues the push back until ping! The hose rips asunder and slaps back on to the wing and engine. Thankfully no-one was in the immediate vicinity and no-one was injured. One tech delay and some extremely red-faces all round.

I never did hear what happened to the culprit.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls