Reply To: Is there a doctor on board?

Back to Forum

junkbondman
Participant

Thanks for this post. I learned quite a bit about the UAE and their laws. I will no longer do any medical assistance for flights there or back. I did divert a flight to Frankfurt for a ill passenger from the UAE. It was the correct thing to do but you have to face the realities of their system and adapt to them. I plan on taking care of people as needed but now am much more aware of the legal ramifications since the “good samaritan” laws really don’t apply in any of the Arabic countries. It is a work of the Jews and Christians.

I do agree that even though the work we do is not compensated, it would be nice of the airlines to provide some recognition for the work we provide to their customers. I don’t think I have ever gotten compensated for any of the patients I have treated including situations where I have decided not to divert a flight saving the airline tens of thousands of dollars.

Are there any legal experts who can say something about the legalities for such non compensated services performed in adverse conditions where the risk of error is high? Is there any UN statutes or opinions on this subject?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls