Reply To: Is there a doctor on board?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Is there a doctor on board? Reply To: Is there a doctor on board?

HappytobeSilver
Participant

As a GP I’m disappointed that rferguson has found it less than helpful to have some of my medical colleagues assist during an inflight emergency and that a nurse or paramedic would win every time. When the call has gone out ” is there a doctor on board ?”, I have offered my assistance on each occasion. Sometimes I’ve been the only healthcare professional onboard while at other times I have contributed alongside nursing and other medical colleagues.

It’s essential to realise the limits of your capabilities, and to that end I’ve happily stepped back if others are involved and I don’t think that I can add any value.

I’ve had a range of issues including alcohol/drug intoxication, breathlessness and chest pain to deal with and to be honest I wouldn’t want to ignore a call for assistance if one was made.

In terms of reward by the airline, while an upgrade on the return journey was very much appreciated together with champagne and some FF miles on other occasions- and on several flights no reward at all- while these were nice to receive, I have never been upset when no recompense for my time/skills was offered- including when I’ve had to assist ‘down the back’ for a prolonged period when I’ve been travelling ‘up the front’.