Reply To: Is there a doctor on board?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Is there a doctor on board? Reply To: Is there a doctor on board?

DavidGordon10
Participant

Interesting replies! Thank you.

BelperFlyer @ 9.48 – of course there is an absolute moral and professional obligation, but do you expect your doctor to work for free?

In general one does not expect a reward, of course, but on three occasions I could have said “turn back” but, based on my diagnosis and on the state of the patient, made a judgement that it was OK to carry on – and thereby saved the airline a lot of money and my fellow passengers a lot of time. Also, it is a risk to the doc – imagine what it feels like to be sued if someone thinks you didn’t do do all the right things. A thank you in kind, such as a refund of the ticket, is a nice gesture. A real thank-you letter from the airline would have been a better reward than the €60 voucher. I think most of you agree with that.

Canucklad @ 11.37 – yes, on the routing we were on it was a choice between Shannon, Reykjavik and Gander. I’m not a cardiologist but a professor of internal medicine so OK with the diagnostic problems (which were difficult) but nothing in medicine is ever certain, except that we are going to die one day. Preferably not on a plane.