Reply To: Redeeming miles with Virgin

Back to Forum

MarcusUK
Participant

I recently decided to ditch Virgin Atlantic, least year.
I held a Gold card with them and when possible long haul flighyts in U/C or medium in PE.
Experiences were always getting poor on board with various regular problems, and the consistency just got so predictably bad.

The Club miles were an on going issue, and hassle. Using the shopping section to actually book flights and travel earned a lot of miles, but was constant hassle to have them awarded some taking months. You complain, but after spending months for a few miles at a time, you realise it is not worth your time, and they do not care either.

I accumulated 250,000 miles, and decided enough was enough.
I booked 2 Business Class returns on the Malaysia Airlines A380 LHR – KUL. You can use your miles on their partners, and better Airlines, and not always for more miles.

VS sneekily incresed the miled needed for free flights by 20% last year, on some routes(HKG and CPT for eg) and also the level miles needed by 25% for your Gold level. Miles earned stayed the same for low fare cabin classes, such as Z in UC.

The charges they levy on Ex LHR flights for redemptions are really some of the highest of any Airline, with fuel surcharges exceeding £450.
If you use your miles One way INTO LHR you dont pay for these?!

Total charges ex HKG-LHR are £49 in U/C if you can find a seat.
Outwards is over £450+ in total, each seat

So i spent the lot on the MH A380 and went out with a bang.
I haven’t and wont fly with them again, as they administer the FFP so badly, and it is less value and hardly any avaialability.
The upgrades or Companion vouchers are so expensive in class you must pay, that is is cheaper to buy both tickets.

The cloaked changes mean less value, for more mile, less availability for an Airline who’s standards have been going down and down. I hear and see people leaving them regularly, and dropping their FF program to switch to more decent ones and Airlines with bigger groups.

I highly recommend to use your miles into LHR on a full flight redemption,wherever possible or book another partner Airline return ticket, with your miles, and leave VS FC.

Sad but, that;s the score with VS these days.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls