Reply To: Redeeming miles with VirginCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Redeeming miles with Virgin Reply To: Redeeming miles with Virgin

eirtraveller
Participant

Thought I would share this: honestly, I don’t expect much with my airmiles, but this I can’t make sense of.

Trying to spend Virgin miles that have been sitting unused for 2 or 3 years. The last time I managed to make a redemption, BMI was in existence and had a reasonable relationship with Virgin. I’m travelling from Dublin – and this all worked quite well.

I spoke to a very helpful Virgin agent on the phone yesterday – the objective: to find 1 or 2 upgrades to Upper transatlantic to NYC, from Dublin, through LHR. You can’t even choose DUB at all on the Virgin website anymore, so how they get any passengers through from Ireland, I don’t know.

After quite some time of looking at dates – she found one option in the months of September and October – booking a “qualifying” PremEcon fare and upgrading, but only one way. Return was just in PremEcon.
The grand total: €1900 for 1 ticket + 10,000 miles. Any time around those dates I would also have the option to fly Business in Aer Lingus for €1400 or fully Biz all the way on BA for €2000.

Net result, I cannot find a justifiable way to use the miles as an upgrade tool. Which is fine, I know how this all works, but mainly provides me no incentive whatsoever to fly with Virgin over airlines that are *comparatively* easy to get redemption with.

Not a rant…..just some thoughts!