Reply To: Direct Aisle Access

Back to Forum

GoonerLondon
Participant

2 things:

You cant keep looking at “throw away” phrases like 2-4-2 and direct aisle access. And assume its case closed. Im surprised others haven’t mentioned this given the wealth of flying experience on here.

AA old J and LH (for 2) have very poor aisle access from most of their J non-asile seats where one or both of you have to actually put the seat back so you can get out. Thats what I call bad aisle access. BA J is not like this. Unless you are very short, its easy to step over a sleeping person. So it might not be fully direct, but its hardly an issue. Many would trade the better privacy in a BA J window seat for this “dreadful inconvenience”

2-4-2 is the biggest load of nonsense. The patented design maximises the actual personal space in the seat. There is just as much ‘floor footprint’ per BA J seat as the newer gen competitor seats mentioned. The fact that it is in 2-4-2 layout is neither here nor there. (BA take note ; 2-4-2 is not acceptable in Club World – FACT.. Really?!!!) Its a bit like slamming Singapore because they put so many rows of J seats in their cabin. Disingenuous to say the least.

But perception is reality – the folks on the BA forum are at least not the usual suspects on here, and it must concern BA that the product is being compared unfavourably. That said, there is much more to J product than just the aisle access of course – and I will look forward to see what the new AA product is actually like.

Personally I agree with Senator : “Despite the lack of aisle access, I find the BA CW seat preferable to many of the above alternatives for one simple reason; the openness around me. The Contour seats, as they slide down into the seat in front, have a coffin like experience. I sense more of the “sardine-like” feeling from this, then the eight seats across on BA.”

And plenty do too!

Lets not forget – its the other airlines playing catch up. In some elements they might overtake a little, but then Im sure BA will respond. The way some people talk on here is as if BA are the old state laughing stock – they have innovated in every area of cabin design, so I don’t understand why there is such negativity on this forum sometimes. It wont stay the same forever – but i will be surprised they drop the current ring-yang principle given its competitive advantage

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls