Reply To: “The worst jobs in travel” – What is your Experience?

Back to Forum

MarcusUK
Participant

There are many variations and experiences we could all list, thanks for all the responses.

For me I was struck just a few days ago, when taking a friend to Schiphol to check in for KLM.
All the check in desks for Economy are now removed, and capsules of “Self Baggage Tagging” (as well as self check in machines), stood there. Enough staff standing to assist, and desks to go to, but 90% of staffed check-in, has gone!
As a Gold member, I use the Priority Services at check in / Immigration / Security, and had not seen the changed scene. I am sure it reduces their staffing costs dramatically at Schiphol, as a Hub.
Have other Airlines moved so dramatically this way?

So for me, as well as us travellers booking everything ourselves, printing our own boarding passes, now luggage labelling, it the lack of contact needed to fly. For Legacy Airlines this is quite some slim-lining down.
It makes us responsible for everything now, so whatever goes wrong, we can just wait to be told “it was not us that did that”…?!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls