Reply To: WHAT’S HAPPENING TO IAG & BACreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines WHAT’S HAPPENING TO IAG & BA Reply To: WHAT’S HAPPENING TO IAG & BA

VintageKrug
Participant

Nope, not touchy – it’s you who personalise the argument, not me, and there’s no need to address your comment to me specifically.

BA has been burned in the past by being an early adopter. I don’t think they had the cash for a major order prior to 2007, anyway, which was probably also a contributory factor.

By ordering later, BA was able to securethe MTOW variant which will suit BA’s route network better.

BA has in the meantime been very successfully introducing the 777-300ER to its network (I think there are six now, with more on the way), and invested to replace its airbus shorthaul fleet.

In many ways, adding capacity on the scale of a the A380 at the start of a recession would have been seen as a negative, so with capacity being added now just as the recession closes couldn’t be better.

Also, BA avoided all the wing spar crack issues and engine problems which so nearly blighted the programme.

I don’t think the A380 has anything to do with eating in to BA’s market to Asia and Australia; BA concentrates, for the short/medium term rightly in my view, on US traffic and is very profitable on such sectors with its current fleet. If it could drop SYD it would do; it’s only there for historical/political reasons.

Increasingly close relations with Qatar should allow a continuation of the Kangaroo route post-Qantas.

Again, same arguments hold for the 787.

BA leads in many ways, and indeed in the distant past was THE leading airline as there simply wasn’t much competition out there.

There is competition now and lots of it and BA simply cannot lead in every arena; despite that it has lead in introducing iPads, all business class STOLport services, has a market leading website and App (compared to others I have used), and still maintains a global network with First Class to the majority of longhaul destinations and a Business Class flat bed which still holds up against many carriers.

It does this while maintaining legacy crew contracts most other airlines have thrown out long ago, yet receives nothing but opprobrium for not being profitable enough from the very same people who resist necessary changes which increase job security for the majority.

I would ask you to argue the points, and not address me should you choose to reply; I am not BA and am not that bothered what strategy the airline deploys, but don’t like seeing things misrepresented on here.