Reply To: Most outrageous airline chargesCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Most outrageous airline charges Reply To: Most outrageous airline charges

HarryMonk
Participant

Many of the fees relating to mile redemption.

Last week I mentioned on one of the threads here Delta’s carrier imposed “International Surcharge”, often several hundred dollars, which only seems to apply when making a Skymiles redemption booking in which the itinerary commences in Europe thus effectively discriminating against their European members.

…and todays, BA’s charges for redeeming Avios.

I was looking to redeem Avios for a a one way economy ticket in July from ICN to KUL. Availability, good, direct flight on MH but fees, just where do BA/Avios get their numbers?

BA/Avios fees

Airport/ Gov Taxes = £16.40
Fuel Surcharge = £1.30
Insurance Surcharge = £1.20
European fuel surcharge/ US Carrier surcharge = £74.10 *
Total = £93.00

* What exactly is this? Last time I looked neither ICN or KUL were in Europe and neither was MH a European or US carrier

Now if I was to buy the ticket directly from MH the fees/surcharges would be as follows

Airport / Gov Taxes = 28000 Won (£16.40) – same as BA/Avios
Fuel / Insurance Surcharge = 65400 Won (£38.49)
Total = £54.89

So BA/Avios in this particular charge approx. £38 more in fees and charges. Why? I know its no going to break the bank but I’m sure in other cases it could be a lot higher. Surely the fees and charges BA/Avios charge should be the same as MH after all its MH who are actually operating the flight?