Reply To: BA T5 First lounge…disaster.Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA T5 First lounge…disaster. Reply To: BA T5 First lounge…disaster.

rferguson
Participant

An interesting thread…..

Once again it demonstrates the actual value of the First product to BA and those that it actually caters for.

I haven’t been into an F lounge since the new catering company took over so cannot comment on whether I feel the changes have been positive or not.

Saying that, I was underwhelmed the very first time I used the F lounge at T5. Having used the J lounge numerous times before, I guess I had assumed there would be a significant difference between the two. But in fact, there wasn’t really. Yes, aesthetically it was a little more pleasing. The Gold Bar and what not. And an outside terrace. But I felt the food options were limited and I must say I far more enjoyed my time in the Cathay Business class lounges in HKG which were an oasis of calm, everything was served versus self service and the food and beverage options were amazing.

The other thing that amazed me about the BA f lounge was how busy it was. It was heaving. I found that odd as I had always visualized it as an oasis of calm. In fact if I had looked up on the departure screen and looked at how many long haul departures there were within the next four hours and multiplied that by 14 (F class capacity on each aircraft), well there was a something amiss. There were many many more people than that that the lounge. In fact a chat with one of my ‘lounge dragon’ colleagues while I was in the lounge confirmed that there were more BA Golds and OneWorld Emeralds traveling in J/W/Y there than there were First Class passengers (it’s quite impressive how the little barcode on your boarding pass they ‘blip’ at security, the lounge and the gate keeps tabs on passengers whereabouts).

And here sits the crux with the F class lounge. It’s only my opinion but I think it is almost viewed as a ‘Oneworld Emerald’ lounge instead of a true F lounge. The majority of the passengers actually traveling F are sat in the Concorde Room or arriving at the airport fashionably late.