Reply To: A tale of 3 airlines

Back to Forum

seasonedtraveller
Participant

Over the past 9 weeks I have ecountered fairly long delays on flights with 3 airlines. I hold BMI Gold but have zero status (other than Star Gold) with any of the airlines flown. Interesting how each ariline dealt with the delays….

1) US Airways – 5.5 hour delay from Manchester to Philly (quoted tech reasons)
2) SAS – 9 hour delay Copenhagen to Manchester (delayed incoming, connection missed, single through ticket)
3) Lufthansa – 7 hour delay Paris to Dusseldorf (cancelled, no reason stated)

US Airways – Within a week of my return & without any prompting I received a written apology and $400 for future travel needs

SAS – Filled in a complaint form and 2 weeks later received a written apology & a cheque for €240 in ‘compensation’

Lufthansa – Filled in a complaint form and after 5 weeks I got a call from LH customer service rep who offered “as a gesture of goodwill’ 5,000 airmiles! Since I already have more than 500,000 miles, I declined & pointed out that, in my view, I was entitled to monetary compensation as my flight was delayed more than 4 hours. The rep claimed to be unaware of the EU ruling & promised to call me back later in the day – 4 days later and I am still waiting!
Suffice to say, I am somewhat dissapointed with LH.

Let me be clear – this is not about ‘money grabbing’ or compensation culture. The money does not come to me since its used against future air tickets.
As another forum member pointed out in another thread recently, the airlines seem to like to have their cake and eat it – if we try to get on an earlier flight, that will be £250 sir but when they delay us, we are supposed to sit back, relax and enjoy the delights of the airport terminal……

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls