Reply To: Upgrading with BA miles – is it possible with travel agent bookings?

Back to Forum

Goldcardsaplenty
Participant

Sadly, as with other BA ‘quirks’, there is no definitive answer to this.

Most of my bookings are made by my travel agent (for convenience only NOT corporate rates) which generally prevents me from upgrading using miles with BA – this is extremely frustrating as it is allowed by KLM/AF, EK, SQ, and others.

However if you ring Exec Club I have, sometimes, managed an upgrade – but not always.

VK’s comment:

“I am aware this is being looked into for possible change of policy, but I wouldn’t hold your breathe”

made me smile as I complained bitterly in 2005 after being refused a mileage upgrade from CW to F and was told back then that the policy was ‘under review’. So that’s only 6 years then………

Re: RfmT1971

Amusingly I have had exactly the same situation; refused an upgrade over the phone only to be upgraded at the gate – in a way BA’s inflexibility is costing them miles!!

Re Daytripper:

‘Do paid-for ‘at the airport’ upgrades qualify for the additional tier points of the upgraded booking’

Paid at airport upgrades do qualify for extra tier miles – paid on aircraft do not.

I struggle to understand BA’s inflexibility on upgrading agent bookings as the vast majority of other carriers afford this service to their frequent flyers. Star Alliance for example emailed me to say the a substantial amount of points earned flying with SAS were about to expire so I went online and used them to upgrade to F on a flight from NRT-MUC with Lufthansa! That’s not even the same carrier but no problems.

Can anyone explain what the advantage/saving is for BA to ‘grey out’ the upgrade option on Agent bookings?? (Please before anyone comes back with ‘due to corporate rates’ I do not use corporate rates but always travel on full-fare J class)

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls