Reply To: Oneworld round the world trip

Back to Forum

stevescoots
Participant

The final 2 legs, I have gone into great length in another thread regarding the lounge, or lack of on the AA Chicago to Philadelphia so I will jump strait onto the flight.
I was travelling in AA first, as I had done this before I was already prepared that this isn’t first as most of the planet knows it. The aircraft on this this run was an MD80, adequate for the short 1.5 hour hop east. Upon boarding passengers were immediately hit with a terrible smell! Sometimes on these smaller planes it’s common to smell some of the jet fumes but this could only be compared to severe smell of vomit. I wasn’t alone in this with some passenger boarding with their hands over their mouths and noses. The smell was not alone it had a companion, filth. This aircraft was absolutely filthy. In one of my other threads I have put some pictures up. The armrest had years of ground in grime, I was able to scrape at it with my fingernail and ended up using my hot towel to wipe it down. The seat backs were stained, there was mouldy food debris in the arm pocket where the table was stored. The overhead buttons showed black dirt of the type you often find on switches commonly used but never cleaned. There was also the rubbish contents of the previous passenger left in my seatback.
I have to say, this is the dirtiest aircraft I have ever flown in, so much that I started to think that if they take such poor care on the cabin, what about the quality of the maintenance?
Food consisted of a piece of breaded chicken, some potatoes and a salad. The salad was ok, the chicken a tried but it was so dry I decided to leave it. Wine was offered, red or white. I asked what type, not that I cared but I wanted to see what the reply was. She did not know. Fair enough, so I stayed on my tomato juice and ice.
The flight left 20 minutes late but landed just 10 minutes late. Bags were almost an hour coming out and no-one from AA was on hand to answer
As FF will know the MD80 is an old plane so if you take it don’t expect anything in F other than a wider seat than economy. My advice would be flying another airline or if you must use AA, save the money and stick to economy. I went to the extreme and rather than use AA back to UK I rebooked on BA

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls