Reply To: 83.2% Vote for Industrial ActionCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines 83.2% Vote for Industrial Action Reply To: 83.2% Vote for Industrial Action

pixelmeister
Participant

Tete

I said
‘What is correct is that around 12% of the MEMBERSHIP actively voted AGAINST strike action’ (my caps)

We are getting into the ‘number of owners who said that their cats expressed a preference’ argument.

I concur that there is a percentage of the cabin crew (who are not the only front line staff in BA) who voted for strike action. I don’t think it follows though that these same people are, to borrow your phrase, totally disenchanted with the leadership. I think that a significant part of the reason for the detachment of cabin crew from their management is down to the way that the on-board supervisors operate. My perception is that these folk do not see themselves as ‘management’ and would prefer to align themselves with the staff they are supposed to be managing. This abdication of a key part of their role means that there is a gap between the ground based management team and the cabin crew themselves. The cabin crew don’t get to appreciate the bigger picture because their direct managers (the on board supervisors) don’t pass it on, or if they do, I guess there is a risk that it gets spun as ‘management have said’ as opposed to ‘we have said’ .

What’s the solution ? Sadly, the only viable one I can see is to apply some performance management criteria to the onboard supervisors. They need to recognise that they are part of the management community and start operating as such. Removing the dead wood and underperformers will have two clear benefits. It will revitalise the role and also provide opportunities for new blood to take on the role.