Reply To: Appalling service on BA

Back to Forum

Goldcardsaplenty
Participant

Stevecoots / NTarrant

Regarding flying in First I totally agree that there are not many circumstances that warrant an extra £5k but I travel FC if CW is full which happens regularly on the Far Eastern routes.

Obviously I also often travel F through promotions such as the long running ‘one way upgrade’ with full fare J class ticket, on the day upgrades through overbooking and occasionally upgrading with miles on a particularly long flight when I need a good sleep (the whole sleeping experience in First is better than CW).

So there are times when people pay for F.

Several of the posts here mention that the original thread has been obscured and this is correct.

I travel a lot and have done for the past 20+ years. I have flown in everything from Concorde to bush helicopters. I cannot name all the carriers I have flown with as I have simply lost count. I currently hold 6 Gold cards with major carriers.

I do not claim to be an expert in air travel but I have spent many hundreds of hours in the air and this gives me the opportunity able to compare many of the different products available.

I have had some great flight experiences with BA but over the years the product has diminished. The premium products offered by BA are now poor value. Just to get things in perspective I recently needed to travel from London to Pusan, BA quoted £7k for LHR/HKG/PUS and Emirates quoted £3k for LHR/DXB/ICN/PUS with both long haul sectors being on an A380. No brainer.

BA have fallen behind the times as the quality with other carriers (SQ, EK, CX) is vastly superior and often far cheaper. It is no good blustering about unfair competition and government aid – the point of the Business Traveller is to highlight the best products available to us. If BA are at a disadvantage due to government aid to other airlines that is for Willie Walsh to take up, not me.

I am intrigued by our man in Malta’s comments as all the times I have flown Air Malta there was not a business product available (great enthusiastic cabin crew though)?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls