Reply To: Chaos at T5…nowBack to Forum
I was flying to SFO from LHR on 23 December.
The Bag Drop queue snaked out the door of Terminal 5 and there was a technical delay of 7 hours on the flight.
However I must confess to being secretly impressed by BA’s operation at T5 on the day – the first full day of flying after the snow:
– the bag drop queue – although long – was actively managed with flights being called out in priority to get people through security in time. The result being that no-one got stressed and everyone got through security
– all available staff seemed to have been drafted in, some technical staff appeared to be helping out at Bag Drop, office staff in civvies were helping manage the queues and giving out water
– all security lanes were open and we got through quickly. Again they were actively managed with lots of staff so no queues built up.
– the cheery and professional customer service agent I spoke to summed it up – ” we are doing everything possible to get every flight out today”
– the flight and cabin crew remained on duty from early AM waiting for 8 hours and then flying us to SFO on a replacement plane miraculously found from somewhere
BA seemed to have done lots of planning ahead considering where pinch-points might occur on the busiest travel day of the year and then put in lots of resource to manage them.
Just before boarding I looked out from the end windows of T5 B gates and could see 30 BA planes on the move at the same time…it was really impressive
I realise that many travellers have not been so lucky but … despite my delay, I just wanted to say…. THANK YOU to BA and their staff for the 110% effort you put into getting so many flights out last week.